Sunday, May 16, 2010

Beach rock bear

Today was a day that I was looking forward to - I had my riding buddy Sue with me and we set out to do the "beach rock" ride. We were definitely moving, but got some talking in there too. Overall my time was better than last time riding - I covered 39.5 miles in 2:30, while last time it was 37 miles in 2:23. This go around I averaged 15.6mph, while last time it was 15.4.

It was a beautiful day and while we were just about half way through and climbing, we saw a huge black bear in the middle of the road (Rt. 181). We did stop since it seemed to be wandering from side to side and wasn't going into the woods. We had to make a decision and we certainly didn't want to turn back and go a different route. So as soon as we didn't see it for a few minutes, we started pedaling (of course, Sue made me lead the way)...my heart was racing for fear that bear was going to come after us, but once we were past the point, I could breathe again and enjoy the rest of the ride. Today the time went by more quickly - thanks for the company!

1 comment:

  1. wow! that's bear-y scary! :) Sounds like you had a great ride tho. Good to have company on those long rides.

    ReplyDelete